Sunday 10 August 2014

Hits and Misses from Burberry, NUDESTIX, Paul & Joe and Kevyn Aucoin

I've had a few disappointing acquisitions lately, as much fun as it is to share the must buys I also think its worth showing the products which don't quite hit the mark.

First up its the Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Glow Duo in shade #2 Pravella/Janelle (£19). It contains a cool pink and dusty peach. The pigment is quite flexible, you can apply as a bold colour or sheered out.
Swatched below and then on the right both shades combined,

Blended out swatches,

Its packaged the same as the eyeshadow duos so its very streamlined, though I have seen reviews whereby the product was felt to be on the small size.

It applies a bit patchy with a faint bit of tackiness to the touch. My gripe with this is the lastability, as it wears off in patches. I fully understand that if you touch your skin whilst wearing cream products then it will transfer off, but this does it when no contact is made, its very odd but without fail every time I wear this I end up with a very visible patch where its completely disappeared.

 
Next we have the NUDESTIX Lip & Cheek Pencil in shade Love (£24). I didn't pay attention to the brand when it came out as it seemed aimed at the younger, flawless crowd, however Spacenk had a gift with purchase promotion a while back, so I thought I'd give it a go.
 
I like the colour which is a subtle warm pink.
 
What I don't like is that on the lips it shows up any dryness and on the cheek wear time is poor and it feels unpleasantly tacky.
 
 
Next its Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer in shade #03, Rosy Beige (£26). I've had this before in shade #01 Light Beige and really liked the finish but it wasn't quite enough coverage for my dark circles. I stumbled across a video with Burberry's makeup artist and she said they used shade #03 on every skintone to cancel out circles due to its peachy tone.
Swatched below on the left with Bobbi Brown corrector in light peach on the right, you can see how much more yellow the base is in the BB.
 
Whilst this has a non drying creamy texture and a skin like finish, the actual colour is too peach and too dark and doesn't so much conceal darkness but add a new colour to the mix. This is not so much a miss as I think its a good product, just not for my skintone. 
 
 
To end on a good note we have the Paul & Joe trio in #05 Cherry Blossom (£23 for the trio and £7 for the case).
 
It contains a multi coloured sparkle pink, shimmery golden brown and a satin finish plummy brown.
 
Pigment is excellent and the shades are soft, creamy and apply/blend really well, and there is of course the cute limited edition packaging.
 
 
I bought the Kevyn Aucoin from uk.spacenk.com (NUDESTIX was a gift with purchase) the Paul & Joe from Harrods and the Burberry from johnlewis.com

8 comments:

  1. Hey Clare, ouchy ouch ouch, that's quite some flops there! I kinda want to try a Kevyn Aucoin blush at some point, but now I know I should stay away from the cream formula! I wasn't sure about Nudestix, but now I'm pretty sure I'll pass! Unpleasantly sticky is never a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish we could return makeup here in the UK ;) I was expecting good things from Nudestix going by the reviews so far but will not explore the line any further now.

      Delete
  2. HI Clare,
    that Paul & Joe trio is really cute! Especially that cat packaging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P&J do have lovely limited edition packaging, makes them stand out from a lot of the other brands :)

      Delete
  3. I like to read about misses just as much as hits. How else will we know? The KA blushes used to be in such large packaging, the amount now isn't the same so I hope they lowered the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its good to know what things to avoid :) It does seem that KA has gone though a few packaging changes of late, mostly down sizing.

      Delete
  4. loving the look of the paul and joe trio! I was thinking of picking up a few goodies from the fall collection! Also, it's too bad about that Kevin Aucoin blusher :( Especially since it was so small!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Yes, Kevin Aucoin is a bit hit and miss for me.
      I'm liking the look of the Le Film shadow trio from Paul and Joe Fall, might have to pick it up :)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin