Wednesday 1 June 2011

NARS Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself Eyes Set

In conjunction with the release of the new Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself book, Nars have bought out 3 limited edition sets (cheeks, lips and eyes).
I bought the eye kit (£65) which contains a limited-edition eyeshadow palette, mini Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, Medium-sized Eye Makeup Remover (50ml) and a full sized Larger Than Life Volumizing Mascara.
The eye shadow palette contains: Top Row: Abyssinia (pearl finish cream), Silk Road II (warm pinky peach, with very large gold glitter particles), Strada (lavender with golden glitter),
Bottom Row: Galapagos (intense brown with golden glitter), Fuji (rich jungle green with subtle shimmer) and Brumes II (smokey, slightly shimmered grey blue).

Its an interesting mix of shades, and allows me to use colours I wouldn't normally have ventured towards. The pigment is really good and they blend well. As I wear contact lenses I was expecting issues with potential glitter fall out from Silk Road but fortunately I’ve not had any go into my eyes.

Swatches L-R:Brumes, Abyssinia, Silk Road, Strada, Galapagos and Fuji.

I decided to put all 6 shades together and I really like it. I used Abyssinia as a base, Silk Road on the inner half of the lid, Strada on the other half, Fuji in the crease, Brumes in the outer crease and then Galapagos to line.

The oil Eye Makeup Remover cuts through mascara and eye liner with ease, and it is just as good as my favourite high end eye makeup remover (Chanel) and its also a bit cheaper.

The Larger Than Life Volumizing Mascara is a good everyday mascara, it gives thickness and a bit of length, without flaking or smudging.
The Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base is something I already own, it has a really good texture and application for my dry, ageing eyelids, although it doesn’t give me the same length of wear as Urban decay PP/Too Faced shadow insurance.

Product Ingredients:
I have to admit that I initially bought this set as I misread the email NARS sent round, and I thought the kits came with the new book. Astounded by the bargain, I don’t think I have ever ordered anything so quickly. After the parcel arrived with no book, came the realisation that I had obviously lost the ability to read and basic comprehension, not just with the initial email but also when placing my order! Mistakes aside, this is a really solid kit, the stand out has to be the eye palette which offers fun, rich, yet still wearable colours. Now I just need to buy the book!

I bought this from narscosmetics.co.uk

13 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! OMGoodness! I love that! I cannot ever for the life of me do that sort of fade! What's your secret? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the book wasn't included, that must have been a disappointment. Without the book, like you said the kit is still solid. I wonder if the eye makeup remover would irritate my sensitive eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Congrats on 300 followers - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor thing. I would've done the same thing I go nuts at a bargain. Mind you those colours are beautiful and the pigment of nars shadows are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The look you did is gorgeous! Seems like a fabulous set :)

    It's too bad you didn't get the book :( Congrats on 300!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK that eye look is killer!

    Congratulations on 300 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this at my local Nordstrom - yeah for $85/USD I was hoping it came with the book. It is a good kit regardless. I really want that palette and shadow primer. I'm not a huge fan of that mascara formula.

    Looks like you'll have lots of fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a really solid kit, your eyes look great! I love their smudge proof shadow base and eye makeup remover as well. I find it takes off everything without tugging or irritation.

    I've had a chance to look through the book at least, and it is truly incredible the looks they have created!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a very nice kit with several items I wouldn't mind trying like the mascara as I love their lengthening one.

    I really like the eye look you've done, I'm currently trying to experiment more with my eye looks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a little giggle at your book story! The palette is lovely, I really like the mix of colours included. It looks really nice as a whole eye look too, which I wouldn't have expected. I also like the fact that there isn't a single dud in the set. I imagine you get use out of it all. I don't know if I dare go and look if it's still available!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jeanie,
    You are too kind :) I actually forget to blend my concealer in as I did this look in a rush and it totally shows on the photo, typical I only notice after I post it! I just use my Edward bess brush to blend the colours together x

    Hi Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup,
    Thanks :) I would say I have sensitive eyes, often makeup removers can make my eye area sting , feel really tight and go red but I have had no problem with this :)

    Hi Imo,
    I think I'll get a lot of use out of it, their do make some lovely pigmented colours, I still need to get round to getting the summer stuff :)

    Hi Vintage Makeup,
    Thank you, I was initally not sure to post the eye look so thats nice to hear you like it :)

    Hi PerilouslyPale,
    Thank you :) I am trying to decide what to buy for my giveaway price, I have a feeling it might have to be Rouge Bunny Rouge again.

    Hi lexi920,
    Yes I think I'll be able to get a lot of looks from this palette, I wonder if they will bring it out separately as I am sure it would be quite a popular one.

    Hi productdoctor,
    Thank you ;) I really need to get round to ordering the book don't I, I really loved their last one.

    Hi Meeta,
    Thanks :) Actually I think the palette colours would look beautiful on your colouring. I know what you mean as I have to drag myself away from doing the neutral/ taupe look everyday x

    Hi Jane,
    I didn't mention that I ranted to 2 family members and 2 people at work about how my order had been messed up, before I realised my error!
    I am sure it is still available, actually I do think the sets are worth a look at, I wonder if you would like the cheek one as well?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your review! I was looking everywhere for a comprehensive review of this kit. I think I would be ordering one now from sephora cause the colors are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, glad it was helpful, I do wish Nars would come out with some eye kits like this :)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin